In order to know the meaning of the term stylus, the first thing we have to do is determine its etymological origin. In this regard, we would have to analyze the two words that make it up:
• Pencil comes from Latin, more precisely from "lapis," which can be translated as "stone."
• Optician, meanwhile, emanates from the Greek. Specifically, we can determine that it is the result of the derivation of “opsis”, which is equivalent to “sight”.
The writing or drawing instrument that has a graphite bar enclosed in a cylinder is called pencil . A person By taking the pencil with your hand, you can move your graphite tip on paper and mark the necessary strokes for writing or drawing.
The optics , meanwhile, is a branch of the physical which is dedicated to analyze the behavior, characteristics and manifestations of the light , focusing on its laws and phenomena. The pertaining or relative to the view It is also part of what is understood by optics.
These concepts allow us to approach the notion of optical pencil , a photosensitive device that allows you to interact with a monitor or a television . It's about a input peripheral created in 1952 for him MIT that, connected to a computer (computer ), you can replace some functions at mouse (mouse ) because it allows you to select commands in a computer program, enter information, etc.
In addition to all of the above, we should point out these other identity related to the aforementioned stylus:
• Can be used on CRT type screens.
• To be able to use it, it must be connected to the relevant computer with its corresponding cable. A circumstance that becomes one of its disadvantages because it is not precisely convenient to use for it.
• That peripheral should be stressed that, to some extent, was based on what were the optical guns that were being used in different types of consoles and video games.
In addition, it should be noted that there are three types of optical pencils in the technological sector:
• Stiletto, which works thanks to the set of sensors and pressure system that it incorporates.
• Pen for active digitizer tablet. It is a peripheral that needs to operate an electric charge, so it connects directly to the tablet, which is what gives it the power, or it chooses to provide batteries.
• Pen for passive digitizer tablet, which is identified by working through an electromagnetic type induction system.
The stylus has light sensors which allow you to register the light emitted by a monitor. In this way, when the pen comes into contact with certain sectors of the screen, it sends a signal to the computer, which can detect its position and interpret that information.
Optical pencils require a certain level of light intensity on the screen since, otherwise, their sensors will not capture the brightness. In that case, the stylus does not activate and fails to interact with the device.